Responsible to Director of Studies
Locations: Leicester, Lampeter & Huddersfield.
Duration: From 29th June to 30th July 2019.
Hours: Full time (6 day week)
Salary: Minimum National Wage + Holiday pay
Main purpose of job
Activity Leaders are responsible for preparing and leading activities and excursions and supervising students during breaks and meal times whilst maintaining a high level of pastoral care. They report to the Activities Manager.
Duties will include
- Attending an induction
- Report to: Activity Manager
- Picking up groups from the airports (LHR,LGW and BRS etc) involving a long coach journey.
- Meal duties supervising the line at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Break duty, supervising morning break 10.30 to 11am and specific areas during ‘free time’
- Leading and actively participating in sports activities such as Football, Volley ball, Basketball, Rounders, Beach cricket and swimming.
- Leading and participating in Activities such as Treasure/Scavenger Hunts, Casino Night, Game show night, Talent show, Welsh Evening (country dancing, clogs not required!), International evening, Blind date and message board, Film night, Quiz Night, Karaoke and Discos and Themed discos.
- Helping with arrivals and departures, welcoming/waving good bye and helping with cases (most blocks have lifts!) and induction to the accommodation.
- Leading Excursions (2 Full day and 2 half day per 2 week stay).
- Chatting to the students (not always the same ones!) to encourage them to speak English outside the classroom e.g. on the bus, during activities and meal times.
- Preparing for activities, sign up sheets and advertising posters included. Getting/persuading students to participate and being enthusiastic!
- Pastoral care. Spotting problems and reporting them quickly so they can be solved e.g. homesickness, bullying. Ensuring both individuals and groups are happy. Being aware of individual and specific needs of students and assisting them and their Group leaders.
- Engaging students and being positive and enthusiastic.
- Being actively aware of accident and emergency procedures and reading the staff hand book
- Native or near native level English speaker
- Clear and confident communication skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Student Focussed and understanding of pastoral care
- Time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work effectively under summer school conditions and in a team
- Positive attitude and lots of energy!
- Experience of working in a summer school environment