Learn Some New Words With ‘Joker’
The film has received 11 nominations for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts’ annual awards.
Which word means ‘produce an emotional effect on someone’?
Watch the video and complete the activity
Joker’s bleak depiction of the comic book character was one of last year’s most controversial releases, but the film resonated with audiences – taking more than a billion dollars at the box office and it now leads the way at the Baftas with 11 nominations including best film and best actor for Joaquin Phoenix.
Key words and phrases
person expected to win the competition
• The Jamaican sprinter is the frontrunner at this year’s event.
• The political party has gone from last place to front runner.
in the spotlight
receiving a lot of attention
• The announcement of their wedding put the celebrities in the spotlight.
• The CEO is now under the spotlight as the fraud investigation continues.
leads (the) pack
is better or more successful than competitors
• In terms of hitting sales targets, she’s leading the pack.
• With this new computer system, we’ll lead the pack in data security.
Language challenge answer
Write your answer her below on our social media post. We will let you know if you are correct!